Ann Voskamp’s “One Thousand Gifts” has been on the NY Times bestseller list for something like 25 weeks now. It was a treat to hear her speak last weekend and inspiring to know that she’s a big ole chicken just like me. Afraid of flying. Afraid of speaking in front of crowds. Probably afraid of success and somehow afraid of failure at the same time. And yet she flies, speaks, succeeds and fails all the same. She’s also given birth to six children, which makes her infinitely braver than I’ll ever be.
The point of her book and her daily blog is to help us appreciate the multitude of gifts God has heaped upon us. I can do that. So here’s ten for today:
- Blueberries for breakfast.
- Kissing my husband goodbye as he left for work.
- Lunch with friends who support me.
- A young man at the children’s home who (with help) calculated how much he earned helping out on campus this week. I’m not sure if it was the grand total or getting the math right, but he was delighted.
- Watching the original “Mr. Belvedere” with Jim.
- Having a delicious supper with Jim (and some wine!).
- The last daylily blooming–a double orange.
- A delicious shower after getting all sticky walking Thistle in the heat and humidity.
- Sitting on the porch reading the next chapter for Bible study tomorrow evening.
- Looking forward to sleeping in my soft, cozy bed with my husband curled beside me and Thistle stretched out underneath.
Q4U- What’s your best gift for today?