Fall is my favorite time of year. And as I get out and take Thistle for walks, or write with the windows open, I’m definitely seeing signs that it’s right around the corner. Now that it’s September, I thought I’d take a moment to list the blessings of autumn:
- Cool, crisp air that makes you want to breathe deep and turn your eyes to the sky.
- That brilliant, blue sky!
- Gorgeously colored leaves standing in sharp contrast to that expanse of blue.
- Those leaves that land on the sidewalk and leave rusty outlines behind.
- Building a fire–in the fireplace inside or the firepit outside.
- Scuffling through crunchy, crackly leaves.
- Apples! Apple pies, applesauce, apple chutney, apple cake . . .
- Goldenrod, joe pye weed, ironweed and asters growing along dirt roads.
- Milkweed pods!
- Finally being able to wear sweaters again. (Next spring, I’ll be glad to finally put the sweaters away, but let’s live in the moment!)
- Trading the lawn mower for the rake.
I could go on. What’s your favorite thing about fall?