Top 100 Children’s Books
Scholastic Parent & Child magazine just release a list of the 100 best children’s books. I’m always a bit skeptical of top anything lists–it’s SO subjective. But they are kind of fun. If only to rant about the books you think should be on there.
Here’s a link to the list. The top ten include:
1. Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
2. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
3. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
4. The Snowy Day by Ezra Jacks Keats
5. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
6. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling
7. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
8. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
9. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
10. Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel
Overall, I approve, though I would definitely trade out Harry Potter for number 11–Anne of Green Gables. Other favorites of mine that didn’t make the list at all (gasp!) are Little House in the Big Woods (and all the other Laura Ingalls Wilder books); Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp by Mercer Mayer; and Uncle Wiggly’s Story Book by Howard R. Garis. Also, just about anything by Richard Scarry (one of his books is #42).
Q4U- What were some of your favorite children’s books? What else is missing from this list?