Last year I posted my vision statement–a statement of my goals as an author. I think it’s important to not only create such a document, but to revisit it regularly to see how I’m doing and what needs to change.
SARAH’S VISION STATEMENT
- Share my faith and love of Christ with the world through my novels. Ensure each novel has a clear, Christian message that can be easily grasped and incorporated into daily living for my readers. -This is an ongoing process as I write, revise and edit. No change.
- Sign with an agent who shares and supports my vision–one who shares my worldview and knows the publishing business inside and out. Someone who will help me build a future. -Check! I can adjust this one now. My new vision is to build a strong relationship with my agent that is mutually supportive.
- Sign with a major publishing house—Revell, Bethany, Harvest House, Tyndale, Abingdon, Zondervan or similar. -Working on it . . .
- Publish the “Everyday Miracles” series including at least three books–The Memory of Drowning, Miracle in a Dry Season and Mending Line. -As I finish these three books, the time is approaching to brainstorm future ideas. More miracles? Or something new?
- Use my writing as a platform to reach broader audiences with the message of Christ through speaking, blogging, book signings, book clubs, etc. Stay humble and accessible. -This stays the same. I am beginning to get more blog readers and Twitter followers, which is exciting!
- Be a good steward of any money I make. Pay off the house. Prayerfully use the money to support the ministries God has given me. -One of these days . . .
- Invest in myself and other writers through workshops. Attend and lead classes. Always strive to make my writing better and to encourage other writers to share their faith through creative writing. -I’m volunteering at a conference in February, helping to coordinate the writing contest. I’ll continue to pursue this goal, hopefully until the day I die.
I do have one new bullet to add:
- Continue to build a supportive writing “family” made up of other writers, friends and fans who will help cheer me on while I do the same for them. -That would be YOU. Thanks for joining me on this journey!
There are few things more satisfying to me than having a plan and making progress. I’m a list-checker-offer. Can’t wait to see where I’ll be six months from now. I’m not sure what’s going to happen, but I do know God’s plans are bigger–and better–than mine.